Migrating the infrastructure and hosting of a significant IT estate from Tier 1 providers to client operated public and private cloud platforms.
A UK government department, central to the financial welfare of UK citizens, had a drive to remove reliance on Tier 1 providers for infrastructure and hosting capabilities.
The department had chosen a hybrid cloud solution utilising AWS, Azure and Private-Cloud to host this critical national infrastructure. Over an 18-month period, they needed to migrate and transform over 150 complex applications hosted on 6,500 servers used by 80,000 staff supporting millions of citizens daily.
This was a large and complex programme and Netcompany worked as part of a multi-vendor team, initially providing technical skills to help define the target cloud services alongside developing the programme planning. We then managed the migration programme whilst building the target technologies and delivering key application migrations and developments. Following the programme's completion, Netcompany have continued to support the transformed applications with specialist skills.
- Significant (10's of £millions) reduction in annual hosting and support costs
- Allowed the department to take control of its e2e application roadmap and significantly reduce reliance on vendors
- Centralised security control enhanced for highly sensitive data via private cloud
- Increased efficiency and reliability for 80,000 staff, improving service for all UK citizens
- Service continuity and platform availability improved via use of modern technologies
- Fully integrated into existing departmental identity access management as well as cost management mechanisms